Wednesday 10 October 2012

The very beginning...


After years of dreaming and searching and trying really hard, I finally bought a piece of land today. It’s in a lovely little town called Malmsbury, the neighbours are very friendly and I’m so excited to be starting a new garden. It’s not as big as I had originally hoped for, but I’m pretty sure I was being unrealistic when I imagined acres of fruit trees and vegetables, chickens, pigs and goats. I think I’ll leave that for my next project…

The block from the road


The road from the block

Before I can finally begin my very much anticipated garden, there is some preparation that needs to be done. I have a basic design for the whole block already planned out (I have had four months of waiting and frustrated anticipation), but this will take some time to implement. I plan to set up temporary garden beds on the site where the final garden beds will go, this will allow me to use the land immediately and to start working with and improving the soil for the final garden beds.


The block has not been slashed for some time and will soon become a fire and snake hazard, so I definitely need to do something about that first. Then there is the soil, heavy, dark grey clay, pretty compacted in places. It is still moist in October, but I am pretty sure the soil will harden to concrete and form huge cracks when it dries out in a couple of months.

So the plan so far, spend one day slashing the grass and weeds, then a second day digging the soil…